- 1-3/4 cups water
- One package (6.09 ounces) NEAR EAST® Rice Pilaf Mix
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 2), cut into thin strips or 8 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- In 3-quart saucepan, bring water just to a boil.
- Stir in rice, contents of Spice Sack, olive oil, turmeric and hot pepper sauce. Cover; reduce heat to low. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken or shrimp; cover and simmer 15 more minutes.
- Stir in beans, peas, tomato and basil; cook 5 more minutes, or until heated through.
Calories: 340; Calories from Fat: 45; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 35mg; Sodium: 700mg; Total Carbs: 50g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Protein: 24g; Vitamin A: 11%; Vitamin C: 39%; Calcium: 8%; Iron: 15%;